Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Progress of Technology In Our Homes ...

I finally got tired of Dial-Up to get on the Internet and hooked up to DSL this morning. What a huge difference it makes!
When I was growing up, I watched television on a black and white set. I remember seeing it in the kitchen. I watched the funeral of JFK with our maid. I even watched Lawrence Welk on Saturday nights. This television set was the only one in our house.
A few years later, we had our own record player. We listened to Christmas albums during the Christmas season. Later on, my brothers and I listened to our favorite rock groups - The Carpenters, The Monkees, Herman's Hermits, and The Mamas and The Papas - only to name a few. And this record player was the only one in our house.
Now, in 2007, each person (in the family) owns his/her personal cell phone, CD player, computer, TV, and perhaps a laptop computer as well.
Whatever happened to the concept of sharing our possessions with our families? I think, like Dial-Up, it is becoming a part of the past ...

No comments: